Last summer I “discovered” chicken salad all over again. Not the “traditional”, tried-and-true recipe I had used for YEARS but a jazzed up version that uses fruit and nuts. I hadn’t really even thought about the possibility of another “version” of chicken salad out there til I saw it in the deli section of my grocery store and decided to give it a try…from the first bite I was hooked!
And, since they no longer carry my favorite chicken salad…and I’ve been craving it, I decided to come up with my own version! This recipe is super easy and you can substitute other fruits and/or nuts as your taste buds guide you.
Until next time,
Much Peace & Love,
Fruit and Nut Chicken Salad
1 (12.5oz) Can Chicken
1/2 Cup Mayonaise
1 Egg, hard-boiled & chopped
1/4 Cup Grapes, chopped
1/4 Cup Mandarin Oranges, chopped
1/4 Cup Pecans, chopped
1/4 Cup Walnuts, chopped
1/8 Cup Sweet Relish (optional)
1. Lightly toast the pecans and walnuts, if desired. If not toasting, move to the next step.
2. Drain chicken, place it in a medium bowl, and chop it up.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Serve in sandwiches or on crackers as desired. (I usually prefer crackers!)
5. Refrigerate left overs…IF there’s even any left!
**RECIPE AND PHOTOS BY RENEE’S GOURMETS**
©Renee Norris 2015
All rights reserved.