*Recipe serves about 8*
Cheesy-Potato Shepherd’s Pie
1 1/2 Pounds potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and sliced thin
1 Small Sweet Potato, peeled and sliced thin
Salt to taste
1 Tbls Olive Oil (Can use light)
1 (heaping) Cup Carrot, sliced thin
1 (heaping) Cup Celery, sliced thin
1 Large Onion, chopped
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Tomato Paste (about half a small can)
1 Cup Water
2 Pounds Lean Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them by about an inch. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer til potatoes are done, about 10-15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven (or heavy pot) over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, til veggies are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the lean ground beef and cook til the meat is no longer pink. Add tomato paste and flour. Add the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set beef filling aside.
3. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add the milk and 1 cup of the cheese. With heat on low, cook cook til cheese is melted. Mash til potatoes are smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour beef filling into a casserole dish (pr 13 x 9 pan) and spread it to the edges. Drop the topping by mounds onto the beef filling, then spread it to the edges. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake til topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
**Recipe and Photos By Renee’s Gourmets**
©Renee Norris 2014
All rights reserved.