Baking lemon goodies always reminds me of my mom…she absolutely LOVES lemon!!! (I’m pretty fond of lemon myself, but not many folks are as fond of it as Mama is!) I made this recipe with her in mind…lots of lemon.
And, if you’re like Mama & me and like a LOT of lemon flavor, you can add a few drops of lemon essential oil or a little lemon extract in the icing as well. (My hubby prefers it un-iced.) Just remember…if you’re using essential oil, a little goes a long way!
I hope you enjoy it too!
Luscious Lemon Loaves
1 Cup Butter, softened
2 1/4 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Milk (I used 2%)
3 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2-3 Tbls Lemon Juice
2-3 Drops Lemon Essential Oil or 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans. (The disposable loaf pans work well.) Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar til light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat til well combined. Beat in the milk.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add to the wet ingredients. Beat or stir til moistened and well incorporated.
4. Pour into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or til tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. When loaves are cool, whisk all icing ingredients together and drizzle over loaves. Allow drizzle to set. Serve and enjoy!
**RECIPE AND PHOTOS BY RENEE’S GOURMETS**
©Renee Norris 2015
All rights reserved.